FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby vs Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rugby vs Football
    Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:23pm
Actually its a post that didnt get posted cos of the downtime. 
1 I wrote all this cos its just typing no real effort. The thinking is more taxing but like you I think about stuff
2 OK Baseball is Japan, USA and latin America but how is this a world series? Last time I looked we had 192 countries on the planet not 20 something.
3 Ice Hockey isnt exclusive to USA/Canada its popular in EU too - also Russia like you say 
Anyway the argument here is more about culture. Im not anti USA and i'm not a UK patriot far from it im just passionate about sports and the truth!
EDIT: And yea you do you, wrestle and MMA so your above amateur/semi-pro competitor at least. Sport is competition...just like arguments/ words lol.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
TX2k7 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Requiescat In Pace

Post Options Post Options   Quote TX2k7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Heavenly_Trinity

And for the record Matt is correct too as football is a game played primarily with a persons foot/feet and a ball!

Smatt is never right, don't encourage him....lol Football is played with a ball and since running involves ur feet n everybody in the game is running r using their feet in some way, i will knowingly use my twisted smart-ass logic and say NYEH! to u good sir :P
danjel3+5 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote danjel3+5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:16am
This has got retarded.... and there aren't even any retards posting in this thread.

@Penguin... sure definitions can change over time but these sports were called what they are because of definitions at the time. 

Last post for me in here!
Click Me :)

iAMgaming... where unimportant people come to feel important.
xX-RJD3-Xx View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Headhunter

Post Options Post Options   Quote xX-RJD3-Xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

Actually its a post that didnt get posted cos of the downtime. 
1 I wrote all this cos its just typing no real effort. The thinking is more taxing but like you I think about stuff
2 OK Baseball is Japan, USA and latin America but how is this a world series? Last time I looked we had 192 countries on the planet not 20 something.
3 Ice Hockey isnt exclusive to USA/Canada its popular in EU too - also Russia like you say 
Anyway the argument here is more about culture. Im not anti USA and i'm not a UK patriot far from it im just passionate about sports and the truth!
EDIT: And yea you do you, wrestle and MMA so your above amateur/semi-pro competitor at least. Sport is competition...just like arguments/ words lol.

well its kind of saying that it's the best of the best, the only thing not worldly about it is where the actual world series is being played.
ThAtSmAtT View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA
Buffalo Bill

Post Options Post Options   Quote ThAtSmAtT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 5:47am
Originally posted by TX2k7

Originally posted by Heavenly_Trinity

And for the record Matt is correct too as football is a game played primarily with a persons foot/feet and a ball!

Smatt is never right, don't encourage him....lol Football is played with a ball and since running involves ur feet n everybody in the game is running r using their feet in some way, i will knowingly use my twisted smart-ass logic and say NYEH! to u good sir :P
lol T thats some pretty retarded logic haha... so your saying your football can be called football because the playerrs are using their feet by running.... well then by that logic you can class basketball, tennis, vollyball and loads of other sports football right? since theres a ball used in each of them sports and you are running/moving about alot using your feet....... NYEH! to you!....
not so smart-ass now are you :D
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:45am
yea TX like theres no real difference between running, jumping and walking right? After all its using your feet in some way Wink
The point is that language conveys meaning and Americans have deliberately misused terms or phrases either out of ignorance or possibly to make things more attractive. We have words like ball, sphere, globe and orb etc for things that are round and they are used linguistically in different ways to convey different meaning. The "ball" you use is a spheroid and it is used principally as a projectile and our football is using your feet principally to kick an inflated leather ball. If you had never seen a football match and came across American football and football this tells you more precisely the difference in how the game is played. So this is the purpose of language and different but similar words.
Imo I think a game with words like spheroid, projectile, catching, running do not promote it in the same way as football. And Bio I take your point about the world series being the pinnacle but its merely a selling point. It should only be applied to a truly global event surely. Its beamed around the world but i'm guessing that the majority of interest/viewers are from N.America (maybe S.America and Japan).
Anyway English has a habit of not following its own rules and using the same word in different way. whilst u guys confuse the hell out of us even more with your strollers, diapers, gas and phrases like take out and i'm good, i'm great etc I think I would rather u did because it makes life more interesting. At work I would much prefer to say "you're welcome" or "no problem" than customary English terms which have less affection. So ..anyway thats my nerdy post of the day over its back to Crysis. No harm meant though, its all good sh1t.....have a nice day!

Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123