Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > I'm So Smart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SCIENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Team KmA
Team KmA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCIENCE
    Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:09am
Np, I wholly understand and enjoy good dialogue. While subprime mortgages have existed, I'm not sure how long before 2000 these assets were packaged into CDOs to make a risky BBB investment appear AAA. Below is an excerpt from a really long NPR article.

The people who buy the bonds that are the last to get hit, that get the final payments, whatever money trickles into this pool goes out to them first. Those people get the lowest rate of interest and are - the highest rated bonds, triple-A-rated bonds. So the dregs of this pool are the triple-B-rated bonds, the lowest rated bonds. If you own the triple-B-rated bonds associated with this pool, your bonds are going to be wiped out if the pool experiences losses of just eight percent. So if just eight percent of the loans go bad youre not going to have a bond anymore. That's a very risky bond, especially when youre dealing with subprime mortgage loans.

But that's not where it ends. The Wall Street firms, having trouble selling these triple-B-rated bonds to people, pool and find all the pieces of triple-B-rated bonds and they put them into another pool. And they go to the ratings agencies, Moody's and Standard & Poor, and they say, say look, there are all these triple-B-rated subprime mortgage bonds but some of them are loans that are made in California and some are loans that are made in Florida and some are loans that are made in Michigan. They're diversified. They're not all the same thing.

Surely some of them are going to be money good. So if we put these all into one big pool and tranch it up again, how much of it will you rate triple-A? And the ratings agency says, 80 percent. They say, we think that this pool is diversified enough that, you know, if things go really bad only about 20 percent of them are going to be really seriously at risk. So, 80 percent are really safe. So you have now this called this is called a CDO, a collateralized debt obligation. And 80 percent of this is rated triple-A.
http://www.npr.org/tablet/#transcript/?storyId=124690424
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:52am
The democrats forced banks to gives people loans that couldn't afford the loans as a social program, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mai bought those bad loans from banks at a great price, the Dems were in the pocket of Freddie Mac and Fanny Mae. it was an eppic scam. The stimulious became part of the scam. where did the stimulious money go? most of it to Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae and certain banks. just a BIG coincidence that it turned into an emergency right before the 08 election and turned it in Obama's favor because it was blamed on Bush and the republicans lol Some very smart people redistributed some wealth and stole an election id say.

It wasn't even near the crisis that it was made out to be. They needed fear and confusion to pass a stimulious that enormous. Bush got duped big time! but he wasn't an economist. anti american progressives have been at this for a real long time can't you tell? lol
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

The democrats forced banks to gives people loans that couldn't afford the loans as a social program.l

Say, wa?
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:15am
Originally posted by HanFei

The democrats forced banks to gives people loans that couldn't afford the loans as a social program.l
Say, wa?

come on Han Fei? you have to already have known about that? lol It was all over the news :)

I checked out the Huffington post website just now for the first time and i was LMFAO alls they do is bash Glen Beck and Fox _-)

Not 1 single intelligent post Its a progressive hate spewing prapaganda machine! nothing more! They only care about Glenn Beck's downfall

Glen Beck has single handedly pulled the veil off the progressive movement and they hate him for it. Its too late now though because Amerina is wise to there Anti American ways Hence the tea party movement.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Pinnacle

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic.
http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg
whats your point Han Fei? if its Bush/Cheaney spending and increasing the debt? were in agreement there. BUT John Mcain tried to stop the housing and banking crises that led to the stimulious package! and Bush warned about it but didn't stop it. corrupt democrats like Chris Dddd and Barney Frank were acually a part of it though. Obama has already spent more then anyone else, and he wants to spend a whole lot more!

No direction, just wanted to add data to the discussion. Our senators and representatives create the budget, The president just signs it. Once we realized the Subprime housing lending and massive CDOs were going on, there is little to be done, since sooooo many loans had already been made.

For reference, subprime lending began in the Carter administration when Carter urged Congress to pass a law which relaxed bank loaning practices. Reagan suffered the repercussion of this when the Savings and Loan banks all collapsed due to strict competition from national banks.. We've known this for over 30 years. Now it becomes an issue? The reason noone made an issue about this in the past three decades is because banks began to profit like never before. That equated to more government inccome through business taxes. What did the government do to alleviate this mess? They raised taxes on business to reap the benefit of the higher profits. What is the first thing Reagan do to fix this problem? He lowered taxes on businesses to ease the burden they were carrying, which led to one of the biggest decades of growth with extremely low unemployment numbers. Mr. Clinton came in and eased the bank regulations even more. What did he do? He raised taxes to reap the benefits. What happens next? The banks started suffering, unemployment rose and the housing bubble burst. Sound familiar?

By the way, none of my posts are directed at you HanFei. You are a very smart guy and have valid views. I'm just responding in the alternate.

keep going...i'm getting great info for my Thesis.  lol
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Ether404

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic.
http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg
whats your point Han Fei? if its Bush/Cheaney spending and increasing the debt? were in agreement there. BUT John Mcain tried to stop the housing and banking crises that led to the stimulious package! and Bush warned about it but didn't stop it. corrupt democrats like Chris Dddd and Barney Frank were acually a part of it though. Obama has already spent more then anyone else, and he wants to spend a whole lot more!

No direction, just wanted to add data to the discussion. Our senators and representatives create the budget, The president just signs it. Once we realized the Subprime housing lending and massive CDOs were going on, there is little to be done, since sooooo many loans had already been made.

For reference, subprime lending began in the Carter administration when Carter urged Congress to pass a law which relaxed bank loaning practices. Reagan suffered the repercussion of this when the Savings and Loan banks all collapsed due to strict competition from national banks.. We've known this for over 30 years. Now it becomes an issue? The reason noone made an issue about this in the past three decades is because banks began to profit like never before. That equated to more government inccome through business taxes. What did the government do to alleviate this mess? They raised taxes on business to reap the benefit of the higher profits. What is the first thing Reagan do to fix this problem? He lowered taxes on businesses to ease the burden they were carrying, which led to one of the biggest decades of growth with extremely low unemployment numbers. Mr. Clinton came in and eased the bank regulations even more. What did he do? He raised taxes to reap the benefits. What happens next? The banks started suffering, unemployment rose and the housing bubble burst. Sound familiar?

By the way, none of my posts are directed at you HanFei. You are a very smart guy and have valid views. I'm just responding in the alternate.

ahahahahhaha
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Ether404

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic. http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg

lmao
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 3:54pm
Ford plans five electric cars! Although wide scale adoption with current technology is improbable, at least, these vehicles will be mass produced.
http://www.physorg.com/news205072516.html
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:01pm

Ford plans five electric cars! Although wide scale adoption with current technology is improbable, at least, these vehicles will be mass produced. http://www.physorg.com/news205072516.html

great isn't it. its about dam time :) elictric cars would of been common years ago if oil company's weren't buying every pattent on them.
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:24pm
Electric cars won't become widely accepted the way they're constructed, that you actually have to "charge the battery".
Induction is the best solution for electric cars I think, although it would take HUGE changes. But that technology is awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction
I'm not sure if it could actually be used for cars, well it could but if it's enough energy to go remotely quick..
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by -DaGoN-

Electric cars won't become widely accepted the way they're constructed, that you actually have to "charge the battery".
Induction is the best solution for electric cars I think, although it would take HUGE changes. But that technology is awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_induction
I'm not sure if it could actually be used for cars, well it could but if it's enough energy to go remotely quick..

the funny thing is that steam engines would be awesome with modern technology. I guess they just havn't looked back yet?
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:39pm

Ford plans five electric cars! Although wide scale adoption with current technology is improbable, at least, these vehicles will be mass produced. http://www.physorg.com/news205072516.html

great isn't it. its about dam time :) elictric cars would of been common years ago if oil company's weren't buying every pattent on them.

there is a cool documentary called Who Killed The Electric Car
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:40pm

the funny thing is that steam engines would be awesome with modern technology. I guess they just havn't looked back yet?

no, that would be extremely stupid.. what about those fuel cell cars that they were talking about a few years back? seemed promising... the future is going to be harnessing the energy from our sun..
- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:41pm
just read a couple of days ago that Volkswagen  is releasing a car for $600 bucks that seats one person and gets like 250 miles per gallon.. of course i wouldn't drive it on the interstate but i would definitely drive that bad boy to work every single day
- Best Coast

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by TuNA FISh

no, that would be extremely stupid.. what about those fuel cell cars that they were talking about a few years back? seemed promising... the future is going to be harnessing the energy from our sun..

well thats just because you don't know what your talking about though. Its easy to just call something stupid and not elaberate, hell 5 year olds do that same thing all the time :)

water + Solar = a car that could just keep on going, once solar panels are down sized and improved that is. and thats happening right now.
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 6:43pm

well thats just because you don't know what your talking about though. Its easy to just call something stupid and not elaberate, hell 5 year olds do that same thing all the time :)

water + Solar = a car that could just keep on going, once solar panels are down sized and improved that is. and thats happening right now.

yep, that's exactly what i was talking about when i said fuel cell
- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 6:45pm

steam engines? come on man... we are beyond that......
- Best Coast

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 6:53pm

well thats just because you don't know what your talking about though. Its easy to just call something stupid and not elaberate, hell 5 year olds do that same thing all the time :) water + Solar = a car that could just keep on going, once solar panels are down sized and improved that is. and thats happening right now.
steam engines? come on man... we are beyond that......

you don't understand steam do ya? pretty basic stuff lol
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 7:04pm
stfu about steam engines, damn. that will NEVER happen so think about it before you start arguing about something as stupid as that
- Best Coast

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:03pm

stfu about steam engines, damn. that will NEVER happen so think about it before you start arguing about something as stupid as that

lol
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 10:07am
Old steam engines were big and heavy due to poor design and the use of heavy materials for the boilers. coal was used which was a dirty fuel. the materials that could be used now for the boiler would be very light and the boiler could be made much smaller but very powerful. you only need enough energy to heat the water, and the less water you use in the boiler the easier it is to heat. solar power wouldn't be effective enough or the old steam engines even if it had existed but it would be perfect for a small steam engine for a light weight car. also light weight transmissions didn't exist back then. we now have computers in modern cars that would be used. me and my brother have built a few race cars from scratch and we do most of our own engine work. everything except the machine work on the engine block that is. I havn't heard of anyone working on a modern steam engine yet? maybe i'll tinker with a couple of designs i have in my head?     
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:58am

Yes, it is an unnecessary energy conversion. If usings Joule heating to create steam, directly powering an electric motor would be more efficient. If using a combustible to create steam, ICEs are more efficient. However, on a power plant scale, steam cycles are predominately used.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:10pm
Google to unveil driverless cars
Internet firm tests cars that drive themselves on busy California roads with occasional human control.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2010/10/20101010112951737528.html

The California-based company said on its website the cars have done more than 140,000 miles with only occasional human control. Google is hopeful that this technology will help decrease the number of road accidents by 50%. According to the World Health Organisation, more than 1.2 million people lose their lives every year in road traffic accidents.

While this is similar to the Trolley Problem, I think that if automated cars reduce aggregate deaths, then they are a better option over a sole human driver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem
Or, if you prefer to watch
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 1:11pm

Yes, it is an unnecessary energy conversion. If usings Joule heating to create steam, directly powering an electric motor would be more efficient. If using a combustible to create steam, ICEs are more efficient. However, on a power plant scale, steam cycles are predominately used.

wrong...batteries won't hold enough electricity and there's no real solution to the battery problem.

high pressure from steam is extremely powerful and clean and there's plenty of water solar is FREE once you have the panels. once water is at a boil it takes a lot less heat to keep it that hot so once its hot enough there's very little energy needed. the steam could even be captured and re-used. also there's chemicals that could be used to help heat the water making it take even less energy.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 1:39pm

wrong...batteries won't hold enough electricity and there's no real solution to the battery problem.

high pressure from steam is extremely powerful and clean and there's plenty of water solar is FREE once you have the panels. once water is at a boil it takes a lot less heat to keep it that hot so once its hot enough there's very little energy needed. the steam could even be captured and re-used. also there's chemicals that could be used to help heat the water making it take even less energy.

Battery Capacity Counterpoint - Tesla Roadster
"The Tesla Roadster is certified to travel 340 kilometers (211 miles) on a single charge in normal European driving – but it’s easy to drive even farther."
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-roadster-goes-distance-european-road-rallies

Even if we started with a steam car at 100 centigrade, the act of moving the vehicle removes energy from the system. This has to be replaced by some means, which has yet to be identified. Lowering boiling point and exothermic compounds represent additional cost and waste.

In short, we no longer use steam cars because the market decided these allocations of resources are inefficient.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>