Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

College Hoops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: College Hoops
    Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 1:02pm
Any college hoops fans out there? I'm a BIG 'Cuse fan and just wanted to take a moment to give props to the #1 team in the country. Of course, ranking means little come tourney time (see NC State 83). Also, Syracuse has a history of not being able to beat the teams they should beat.
Yes, the Big East is the best conference in the country for hoops.
Go 'Cuse!
willisasmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote willisasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 1:51am
Total hoops fan here but im a BLUE DEVIL man my self and for the best conference it has to be the big 12 baby go COWBOYS
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 8:46am
I can't fault you for being a Duke fan. Great program with a great coach.
The Big12 as the best hoops conference? No way. I've got the ACC above them, which is not quite as good as the Big East.
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 10:57am
College Basket ball is my second favorite spectator sport next to the NFL.

I think the NBA is a joke, but college hoops is the epitomy of competiton and teamwork.

Im a Big Ten fan, Wisconsin is my Alma Mater. Badgers will proly tie for second place with MSU
for the Big Ten but could easily win the conference tourney and get probably a 3 seed

Most of my family graduated from Kansas, but Im Grateful Red all the way.

cant wait for March MAdness!!!
Do_Or_Die_420 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 12:00pm

I'm a die hard UNC Tarheels fan even though this year has been very disapointing...I have faith with the recruits coming in next year they'll bounce right back..Cant wait too fill out my brackets & see which cinderalla team crushes my hopes & dreams!

SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 12:37pm
I generally care more towards the Big Tourney, which is obviously coming up, as it is now about time for March Madness.  I see that two of my state's teams are in it to, both of which I like a lot. (Also.. yay!  No IU.  Purdue > IU)  I don't see any Missouri either though Cry, but hopefully they'll make the tourney to.. somehow.  After all, it's 65 teams that make it, not just the top 25 and Conference winners.

Believe it or not, I like this more than the NBA.. which I just checked up on last night.  My Pacers suck balls this year.  In Eastern Conference, New Jersey's the only team that's worse than them. (though two or three teams in the Western Conference are worse as well (Golden State, Minnesota, and maybe someone else.. I didn't really look at the standings much more than a minute.))
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Do_Or_Die_420

I'm a die hard UNC Tarheels fan even though this year has been very disapointing...I have faith with the recruits coming in next year they'll bounce right back..Cant wait too fill out my brackets & see which cinderalla team crushes my hopes & dreams!

You know you have an elite program when even though you are winning, it ain't good enough. 16-14 for many schools is total success. Schools like UNC are to college hoops what the Yankees are to baseball. Even if you don't like them, you have to admit the game itself is better when they win.
I liked Roy Williams even before he coached Kansas against SU in the championship game. His post-game interview made me like him even more. Stand-up guy.
QwEsT View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote QwEsT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:23pm
Syracuse FTW!
PSN: qwest4victory    A-R_l2eQwEsT
XBL: ViTuHMiN C

Post Options Post Options   Quote willisasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 1:52am
Originally posted by COKKENBALLS

I can't fault you for being a Duke fan. Great program with a great coach.
The Big12 as the best hoops conference? No way. I've got the ACC above them, which is not quite as good as the Big East.

Im biased on the conference im from oklahoma we all think big 12 is the best
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 5:55pm
Well, it looks like the Big Tourney's brackets are set.  My state's got three teams in it. (Butler, Purdue, and Notre Dame, but surprisingly, no IU.)  I see Missouri to.  I heard there's talk that the selection committee sucked this year though.  Do you agree or not?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/bracket;_ylt=AtLH4TaXBU9G7iy.wnTEGqgOvbYF

The Brackets

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Do-s-and-Don-ts-for-filling-out-your-NCAA-bracke?urn=ncaab,227883

Do-s and don't-s of bracket making, just so you know/ for some interesting Big Tourney facts.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Don-t-fall-for-em-The-five-most-overrated-team?urn=ncaab,228073

and.. the top 5 overrated teams.  Do you agree with the picks?

Sorry, I'm just a big fan of the big tourney.  Anyhow.. Go Butler!  Go Purdue!  Go Notre Dame!  Go Missouri!

I'm well aware Purdue and Notre Dame might be going out early though.

Post Options Post Options   Quote willisasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 1:07am
all i know is that my bracket is screwed already freakin georgetown
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 1:43am
Big East is a joke, bunch of mediocre teams all playing each other in close games. Come Tourney time they aint $hit.

My brackets are still solid all my first round losses Gtown, Marquette, and UNLV i had losing in
round 2 anyway.

I picked Nova to get to the F4,  but based on their performance vs Robert Morris I doubt they get past Baylor, much less the sweet sixteen.

Cant wait for the Big Ten to show their Defensive muscle Friday!!
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 4:13am
I love how Butler was picked as a likely upset and they stomped (well.. won by 18 points) over UTEP.  I knew Butler wasn't going to be one of the 5 seeds to fall.  I hope they beat Murray State as well and make it to the Sweet 16.. no.. Elite Eight.  Mid-Major powerhouse Indiana College ftw!  Seriously, Butler's been most of the last few tourneys, when IU, Purdue, and Notre Dame are in and out in recent years.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Fluffy Fluffington

Big East is a joke, bunch of mediocre teams all playing each other in close games. Come Tourney time they aint $hit.

My brackets are still solid all my first round losses Gtown, Marquette, and UNLV i had losing in
round 2 anyway.

I picked Nova to get to the F4,  but based on their performance vs Robert Morris I doubt they get past Baylor, much less the sweet sixteen.

Cant wait for the Big Ten to show their Defensive muscle Friday!!
I couldn't disagree more. The Big East is far and away the best hoops conference. Look at their out of conference schedules and you will see that they didn't play a bunch of cupcakes like most conferences do. Who's good in the Big 10? Ohio State has argueably the best player in the country. Beyond that, who have they got? Beyond Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan State, the conference is full of also-rans. The Big East has 9 teams that won 20 or more games. The Big 10 has 4. The only team in the Big 10 that is always relavent in hoops is Michigan State. The rest of them have large breaks from title contention. It isn't even close.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 1:32pm
Cokken youre comments just dont jive with the performance of the Big Eat in THE FIRST ROUND!!

so far Marquette, G-Towm, Notre Dame, and Louisville are out!! in THE FIRST ROUND!!
and how about how badly Villanova struggled against basket ball power house Robert Mogris?!

I dont even know where Robert Morris is.

In your analysis of the Big Ten you convniently neglected WISCONSIN whose defeated such out of conference cupcakes as DUKE and the big east's own Marquette.

Im not saying the BIG TEN is the greatest conference, they are not. They dont have the raw talent
other schools easily get, they rely more on coaching, teamwork, and stifling D. Also not a single Big Ten team lost in the first round. How does compare to the Big East ? hmm.

Im sorry but the Big 12 is the top conferece and as I type this Villanova is struggling vs. St mary's.
Unfortunately I took NOVA to the final 4, but they will be crushed by Baylor (if they get past St. Marys)

Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 2:11pm
You are analyzing the quality of an entire conference based on the performance of 4 teams in ONE game. That's like saying the Patriots are a sh1t football team because the Giants beat them in the Super Bowl. Without even looking, I can tell you that the Big East has more Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four and Finals bids than The big 10. I would bet they have more NCAA championships as well. I'm not saying the Big 10 doesn't have some nice teams, I'm just saying they aren't as good as the Big East. Basing analysis on one round of games or even one tournament is just convenient. The ACC had a bad year, but I'm not saying they are a sh1t conference. Big East > big 10.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:35pm
lol, I think i Said twice already that the Big Ten is NOT the best conference.

There has to be some yardstick for success, I dont know what better yardstick to use than tourney results, and since the Big East has performed so miserably in the Early rounds my conclusion is that THIS YEAR they are an over rated conference.

If the big east in aggregate is a such a powerhouse ... then why, in aggregate, are most out before the round of 32. not only that, but they mosty lost to a higher seed. (a 15, a 10, and two 11 seeds)

Now that Nova got embarrassed by saint marys, if im not mistaken, all thats left is syracuse and w virgnia. lets see how they do ( i have w virginia going to the elite 8)

The big East has been historically a great conference. This year, based on Tourney succes, OVER RATED!

I say that as some one who foolishly took Nova to the final 4 and has w. virginia going far based on the misperception of them being a strong conference.
I suppose next year they can just crown themselves the best and not participate in the tourney, because, well it just doesnt matter how you do in the tourny.

Ive said my piece but Big 12 > big East by a galactic mile

Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:24pm
Wow, just wow.  I saw this coming after seeing them struggle against Robert Morris to.  Villanova's already out.  Honestly though, the Big Ten doesn't look much better.  Wisconsin struggled against Wofford as well and I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell sends them home.  Honestly, I don't know what is, but this year, the higher seeds seem much weaker than they usually are.

Out of the 21 winning higher seeds, only 12 seem to have had a solid (10+) win.  One of which is out, while another (my Butler) is struggling, but they're also a mid-major.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 5:09pm
Im VERY IMPRESSED w Butler, I was impressed by them in the reuglar season, and the way they played against a MASSIVE UTEP team was even more impressive, especially Matt Howard in the middle.

Butler will beat Syracuse in the sweet 16.

Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 5:38pm
I don't know if Syracuse will even make it.  Gonzaga's looking pretty good too.  I wonder who's going to be the first 1 seed to fall, because this isn't last year's tourney.  Somebody's bound to lose real soon.  We already have one 2 seed out.  Let's see a 1 get knocked off.  Who do you think is the most vulnerable one?  I can't believe how that ended though.  I really thought it was going into OT for a moment, but Butler made them double back, which was the first part of Murray State's undoing.  The deflected pass, shot, or whatever it was sealed the deal.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 6:06pm
Duke and Syracuse are definetly vulnerable.

Depending on how serious the injury to Onoaku is, Syracuse will get a helluva challenge from Butler if they pass Gonzaga, which I think they will.

Betting aginst Duke in recent tourney history has been a winning proposition.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 6:23pm
I don't think it means much, since it's the first half, but Kansas seems to be having a bit of trouble with Northern Iowa atm.  Also, Washington and New Mexico are all tied up, while Baylor's not having too much trouble atm, but I'm watching the scoreboards right now, not that actually game, so you never know.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 8:15pm
I just checked up on things again and.. I was right about Kansas.  They're out.  The final score was 69-67 or something like that.  New Mexico's hopes aren't looking much better, but they still had about a minute when I last checked, down by at least 10 or so points.  Baylor won.  I guess my first half predictions were right.  Also, that's three upsets for today, out of 8 games.

Edit: Any chance we'll have four upsets tonight and have yet another first night where half of the higher seeds go home?

Kansas St. vs BYU
Kentucky vs Wake Forest.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap;_ylt=Ajk_W15.gAvWGvTbgXpiCfg5nYcB?gid=201003200287

Edit: DAMNiT, the title's not what it was on the headliner, but yes.. "Shock and Awe" baby.  Shock and awe.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 9:13pm

lol, I think i Said twice already that the Big Ten is NOT the best conference. - You're right. My desire to defend the best hoops conference overtook my ability to comprehend. I stand corrected.

Ive said my piece but Big 12 > big East by a galactic mile Ain't Kansas in the Big 12?

Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 9:16pm

Im VERY IMPRESSED w Butler, I was impressed by them in the reuglar season, and the way they played against a MASSIVE UTEP team was even more impressive, especially Matt Howard in the middle.

Butler will beat Syracuse in the sweet 16.

Cuse needs to get by Zaga first. To be honest, this whole year has been a gift for Cuse fans. After sending 3 starters to the NBA last year, nobody thought they would be any good this year. In the pre-season, I thought they were NIT bound. Anyway, I don't like to look ahead because Syracuse is always so up and down in the tourney. You never know which team will show up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>