FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

PACKET LOSS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PACKET LOSS
    Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 4:54pm
I'm getting 88% packet loss. does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it?
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 5:10pm
Packet loss occurs when there is a breakup in the signal or a weak signal reaching your device. It's either your internet connection or the signal reaching your console. This issue has nothing to do with the system, per se, unless the wireless card in the console is going bad (very unlikely). Therefore, there is an issue in your connection somewhere.

Few questions:

What game and which system is this happening on?

Are you running WiFi?

Are there other networked peripherals near the system?

Is someone else stealing your WiFi signal?

Are you running other WiFi systems during the same time as playing your system?

What type of router do you have?

You can check for packet loss by pinging the ps3

- open command prompt

- Type in "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

- where the xx are the ip address

- add the /h switch at the end of that command and it will cycle until you ask it to stop

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 5:47pm
System 360
Router Belkin
We run two 360's yet Shadowshot's 360 runs great compared to mine? I played on his to see if there was a difference and it was like speed freak was on?
My 360 sets right next to my computer about 2 inches away.
Nothing is wireless I use Ethernet cords.
Its an older 360
I did the ping test on my computer so the problem should be in my connection? But it still don't make since that shadow's 360 runs so much better? unless his 360 is getting priority?
Its the same weather my computer is on or off?
I get my phone through my cable company also and the phone is about 21/2 ft. away from the 360.

Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 6:03pm
Few suggestions:

- Try swapping out the ethernet cables to see if one of them has gone bad.

- Try plugging the problematic 360 ethernet cable into a different port on the back of the router.

- Power cycle the router and the cable modem - Pull the plug on both and let them stay unplugged for 20-30 second and then plug the cable modem in and then the router. This restarts all the network systems.

- Try setting up a dedicated IP for your 360s from your router's web based interface. If youa re running both 360s at the same time and there is not enough bandwidth, it may cuase this issue.

Other notable issues:
- It may be that the servers that you are trying to connect into are not working properly. Try a different game and see if the same problem occurs. UT3 uses substantial bandwidth. If UT3 is running smoothly, then it's the game server and not your network that is causing the problem.If UT3 is problem, then try a different game and post your results.

- Make sure that the 360 is recieving enough power. If your 360 is plugged into a surge strip, try unplugging other electronics and give it another shot.

- It may be that the ethernet port on your 360 has gone bad (although this may be unlikely, but does happen every now and then).

* Main things to check is the router and the cat5 cables. Those are suspect in this case. Also try performing an internet speed test and make sure your bandwidth hasn't dropped off unexpectedly. I had a few problems with bandwidth a few weeks ago and it was the cable service provider, not my setup that was causing the issues.

PS: If all else fails, buy a PS3 :-)
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 7:11pm
I already tried swapping the ethernet cables that wasn't it.
I already switched me and shadows ports on the router also.
Ive power cycled the router and modem a quite a few times.
I havn't tried setting up dedicated ip's for the 360's. A little complicated. lol
I use a surge plug that has alot of things plugged into it. I will try this right now.
In the last speed test i ran the download had dropped by about 4 mps on average.

Im buying a ps3 also lol
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 7:12pm
its just a sign that u need 2 get yourself a PS3! Wink lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 7:21pm

If your bandwidth dropped by that much, call your cable company and ask what the problem is. Also, ask them on how to do a test on your cable modem to make sure everything is working correctly. If your bandwidth is limited, the router may be favoring the other 360. That is why it is important to establish dedicated IPs for each unit. Then you can a**ign how much bandwidth your want going to each.

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 7:24pm
hey syzygy, i have two 360's running on my router also and my 360 tends to lag up a bit if we're both playing online. 
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Pinnacle

If your bandwidth dropped by that much, call your cable company and ask what the problem is. Also, ask them on how to do a test on your cable modem to make sure everything is working correctly. If your bandwidth is limited, the router may be favoring the other 360. That is why it is important to establish dedicated IPs for each unit. Then you can a**ign how much bandwidth your want going to each.

I plugged my 360 into another outlet but it didn't help.
Im gonna call the cable company tomorrow 4 sure.
I will haft to put in my router disc and see if i can figure out how to set dedicated ip's. it didn't come with a manual. I just did the auto setup.
If i can set how much bandwidth goes to each 360 ShadowShot is really going to hate me. lol 70/30 should be fair since I pay for the cable. lol

Thks alot Pinnacle I really appreciate your help. Its really cool of you to take the time.

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 3:55am
Originally posted by zGreatCornholio

its just a sign that u need 2 get yourself a PS3! Wink lol

My birthday is Nov.18th so maybe if i give my wife the money for a ps3 and then beg she will let me have one? lol

She thinks I play the game too much already?   
TheSeph View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheSeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 5:11pm
come on uc get that ps3 already we'll have some good games on ps3 lots more people play ctf on here totally different from the 360

as for the problem with your connection do you have awireless adapter for you xbox? try that if you have a spare one otherwise i have no idea my 360 is plugged directly into my router i've never had a problem with it so no advice on the 360 but like pinaccle said try the wires and and resetting the router completely not just unplugging it try hitting the smalll button on the back
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by TheSeph

come on uc get that ps3 already we'll have some good games on ps3 lots more people play ctf on here totally different from the 360

as for the problem with your connection do you have awireless adapter for you xbox? try that if you have a spare one otherwise i have no idea my 360 is plugged directly into my router i've never had a problem with it so no advice on the 360 but like pinaccle said try the wires and and resetting the router completely not just unplugging it try hitting the smalll button on the back

Whats up Seth. 4 sure PS3 must have more going on then 360 because VCTF is totally dead and ctf is getting there. Although theres times when the top CTF players hop on and theres some crazy fun games. its not very often! So when I get my PS3 we will play some CTF 4 sure. Im really looking forward to playing VCTF on the PS3. They say theres always three full srevers. And theres more great VCTF players on PS3. As for me getting a PS3 money isn't the issue at all it's my wife! She's either not quite there yet or she wants to buy me one for my Birthday or Christmas?

Either way ive learned I wear the pants! BUT SHE WEARS THE PANTIES! OH YEA! whatever you say HONEY? WORKS FOR ME...lol UT3 all I want and benefits. Yea im a stud! What of it?...lol   
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 3:12pm
YO Pinnacle I hooked my pc straight to my modem and ran a test and there was no packet loss so it must be my router. Do you think i need to buy a router or can i just change the settup on my router? i dont want to waste 100.00 or more if my router can still be used. its a Belkin G router.
 Post Reply Post Reply