Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > I'm So Smart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Professional Audio/Video Installer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Professional Audio/Video Installer
    Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 2:37pm
I am a professional A/V installer/designer/systems integrator.

Anybody with any questions on HDTVs, surround sound systems,  dedicated home theater rooms with projector/100"+ screens, mounting TVs to walls, universal remote control programming, whole house audio control, intercom systems, central vacuum systems, prewiring your new home, retrofit existing homes.

I work for a high end audio/video company in Central Texas, and have been doing this for 10 years, so.....I know a lot about this field.  Ask away.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 3:02pm
i think you talked me into the Z-5500 system.  AND i found it for $65 cheaper, new from amazon.  now before i order, i know i'm going to need a fiber optical cable.  any recommendations, either a Monster THX cable or something similar?
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
GOW_KillinUGood View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 3:55pm
Monster will work, but you will pay more for it....you are paying for their advertising budget by the way.  If you can find one cheaper, I would buy that instead, but don't go for the cheapest one available.  The 6 foot belkin cable looks like a good deal.
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 5:40pm
Thank you doing this this will be a good resource to have Thumbs Up
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 12:11pm
Here is a little powerpoint of some jobsite pictures.

Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 9:39pm

thanks KillinUGood for the advice on speakers and the cable.  played music, games and vids with them today...WOW.  i don't even have to turn them past a quarter volume.  fantastic.

If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 2:00am
Ok some of these may be obvious but I want to get YOUR take on these questions.

When getting down to essentials is there such a difference between 1080i and 1080p. The cable company that I work for we only have 1080i boxes and of course we can only send out one certain type of signal, does it really matter?

HDMI and Component or YPBR cables come in different types and prices, is there a difference in the picture quality when you buy a 70$ cable to a 20$ cable, or are you spending the money on how long it would last or what it's made from?

One last questions. On most HD TVs they provide more than one input for HDMI cables. HDMI1 and HDMI2, I've had one TV that wouldn't communicate to a cable box on HDMI1 but it did on HDMI2, can this be a settings fix or is this one particular TV only able to communicate through the one input?

Will there be ever be instructions for these new HDTVS that OLD PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND!!! You don't know how frustrating it is to video support over the phone mind you and when you ask something about their TV, they don't know a god damn thing!! All they say " I dunno, Best Buy hooked it up for me" k.. you don't have to answer that, just a venting statement
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 1:27pm
1080i & 1080p - Both of these formats are high definition 1920 x 1080 resolution but 1080i draws each frame of film differently.  1080i draws the even rows of pixels of a frame, then odd rows of pixels for the frame.  1080P draws every row of pixels at the same time for each frame of film.  Thus a much smoother picture.

Currently all cable boxes and satellite boxes only support 1080i resolution.  Now some offer 1080P, but that is only supported by some of their PPV channels and requires a broadband connection to stream that content over the internet.

1080P is supported by BluRay players, internet downloaded movies, and PC inputs.

Expensive cables are better than cheap cables.  Most high end cables are hand made/not ma** produced, hand tested to pa** necessary resolution.  They are made with larger gauge wire, and nicer quality ends.  If you have high end tv, high end bluray, and cheap cables, you will see negative effects from that cable.  Especially when the cable is a long run, i.e. longer than 12 feet.  We sell some cables that are 20 feet, and $500 dollars or more for those long cables.

Sounds wierd that your tv only recognized the one HDMI input.  Was the other input turned off in the menu?  Or did you just not get a picture on that input?  The tv may have a problem if it only works on the one input.

No....old people are way out of the loop, they are doomed to failure.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 7:23pm
Well that just made my day.. all this confusion gone now, Thanks Killin!!!!

And the HDMI input problem.. when I had it put on HDMI1 it said ..Weak or No Signal.. it didn't recognize anything being plugged in, I've tried and XBox and got nothing. I didn't know there was an option to turn on or off the inputs, is that standard on most TVs?
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 10:21pm
Most tv's allow you to turn off unused inputs.  Normally in the setup menu, then "label inputs" option.  You can choose to label each input, (dvd, sat, vcr, game, etc.) as well as turn off inputs (skip, or hide). 

You may have a bad HDMI cable, or a bad HDMI jack if it says weak or no signal.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 2:52pm
Awesome info in here.... 1080p is what I need then coz i'm looking for a new tv right now.
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 3:25pm
my question is on LED backlit TV's

I want to get a bigger tv and put my 46"in bedroom

Im looking at LED's

Is there any difference in picture quality w LED tv's or is it all power efficiency and size (thinner)?
 Post Reply Post Reply