Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > I'm So Smart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Nuclear Related Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team KmA
Team KmA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuclear Related Questions
    Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 3:02pm
Do you guys have any questions related to the Nuclear field?  I am a Nuclear Engineering student and trying to get licensed for our school's reactor.
http://www.ne.ncsu.edu/NRP/reactor_program.html
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 12:50am
Originally posted by InHuMaNe_KiLLa

I do!!! How many atom bombs are there in the U.S and the entire world xD?

http://www.project.org/images/graphs/Nuclear_Weapons.jpg
The exact number fluctuates.  Currently, it's going down.  The Mega-Tons to MegaWatt program, which has or will expire soon, down blends highly enriched bombs to low enriched commercial fuel.  This was between the US and Russia, bringing each down to ~1,000-1,500 warheads a piece.   To be more direct to your question, world total probably sits around 3-5 thousand warheads.  Some bombs can have more than one warhead to maximize yield.

In the Uranium bomb at Hiroshima, less than 1 gram of matter was turned into energy, just to give a sense of scale for how much energy matter contains!

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Pinnacle

Yo!!! HanFizzle, I have a serious question. Will I get special powers if I stick my finger inside the reactor?

For the commercial reactors, you cannot touch or see any of the primary coolant; it's all in pipes. 

At our school, we have an open pool reactor.  Since water helps absorb radiation, nothing spectacular will happen...  This is why if you spend a lot of time at a pool.  Your shoulders and face may get burned, even though your chest and legs aren't.  The water shield's them from the harmful radiation, despite being able to see thought the water.
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 10:51am
I have some serious questions:

1. how much does it cost to build a nuclear reactor?
2. How many years to go online?
3. How much of our Energy is provided by atomic energy in percentage terms?
4. how many reactors will go online this year, and next year in the US?
5. Where is nuclear waste stored?
6. How far along are we in developing Nuclear Fusion technology?
7. How dangerous is the 'Sexy Radiation' i give off?

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Fluffy Fluffington

I have some serious questions:
1. how much does it cost to build a nuclear reactor?
2. How many years to go online?
3. How much of our Energy is provided by atomic energy in percentage terms?
4. how many reactors will go online this year, and next year in the US?
5. Where is nuclear waste stored?
6. How far along are we in developing Nuclear Fusion technology?
7. How dangerous is the 'Sexy Radiation' i give off?

1) Flordia power and Light is going to pay ~$6.8 billion and $9.9 billion for each new AP1000 reactor.  http://pepei.pennnet.com/display_article/366948/6/ARCHI/none/PRODJ/1/FPL-applies-to-build-two-AP1000-nuclear-reactors/
2) Since many companies have already filed for NRC Combined Operating licenses, it will take between 3-4 years from when ground is broken on a site, until they produce electricity.  There are 33 new reactor build starts expected over the next 5-10 years. http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-reactors/new-licensing-files/expected-new-rx-applications.pdf
3)~25% of US electricity come from 104 nuclear power power plants.

4)None, no new builds have started yet.  One of the first will be in Florida.  The link above shows all new expected builds.
5)Currently, nuclear waste is stored on site at nuclear power plants, either in a pool of water or dry casks.  Eventually, all US spent fuel will be moved to a deep geological repository like Yucca Mountain, according to the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982.
6)It exists now! Plasma science is a rapidly advancing field.  Currently, we're trying to reach greater power input-output ratios and achieve steady state operations.  The international research ITER facility in France will answer many questions that computer models just can't give us.  http://www.iter.org/default.aspx
7)Especially, everything is radioactive.  However, most of this get "lost" because it's so small, compared to background noise.  Ultimately, your attractiveness is subject to the individual looking at you.

Hope this could help.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 8:19pm

Were roughly icreasing the number of reactors by 33%, but im a**uming these are newer more efficeient/powerful reactors than the intstalled base so nuclear output over the next 8-13 (a**uming 3 year build out lead time) years should increase by more than 33% correct.?

I cant believe  u actually answered number 7 lol! 
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 8:40pm

Were roughly icreasing the number of reactors by 33%, but im a**uming these are newer more efficeient/powerful reactors than the intstalled base so nuclear output over the next 8-13 (a**uming 3 year build out lead time) years should increase by more than 33% correct.?

I cant believe  u actually answered number 7 lol! 

haha, lol.  Yes, most of the new reactors are around 1,100MW electric.  You are correct; some of the older reactors are not as large.  Although installed nuclear capacity may jump by more than 33% over the next 5-20 years, power consumed by the US increases every year, along with most countries.   In the US, I don't see nuclear exceeding more than half of the US's electricity, unless something drastic changes in the market.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 8:45pm
consumption should generally track population growth correct?

80% of French energy consumption is nuclear, Its a shame there's such a taboo domestically.

Final question who provides the Capital Equipment for the build out  is it GE?
Looking for Investment ideas here.
InHuMaNe_KiLLa View Drop Down
Team GOML
Team GOML

Post Options Post Options   Quote InHuMaNe_KiLLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by HanFei

Originally posted by InHuMaNe_KiLLa

I do!!! How many atom bombs are there in the U.S and the entire world xD?

http://www.project.org/images/graphs/Nuclear_Weapons.jpg
The exact number fluctuates.  Currently, it's going down.  The Mega-Tons to MegaWatt program, which has or will expire soon, down blends highly enriched bombs to low enriched commercial fuel.  This was between the US and Russia, bringing each down to ~1,000-1,500 warheads a piece.   To be more direct to your question, world total probably sits around 3-5 thousand warheads.  Some bombs can have more than one warhead to maximize yield.

In the Uranium bomb at Hiroshima, less than 1 gram of matter was turned into energy, just to give a sense of scale for how much energy matter contains!

W-O-W x20 I never knew the world had so many atom bombs!!!!
PSN Tags - InHuMaN_KiLLa_v2 (for everything but UT3), InHuMaNe_KiLLa, KiLLa_is_QnL, GOML_-ScRuBz-
XBL - iMPuLs3 zV
wOa site created by me - woagaming.enjin.com
SRC_ROLLTIDE View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 10:15pm
so in your opinion, just how much cleaner is energy produced by nuclear power vs fossil fuels?  
No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
AKA: RollTideAlabama, Rage-of-ROLLTIDE, Fear-of-ROLLTIDE
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:23am

consumption should generally track population growth correct?

80% of French energy consumption is nuclear, Its a shame there's such a taboo domestically.

Final question who provides the Capital Equipment for the build out  is it GE?
Looking for Investment ideas here.

Electricity demand increases by 26 percent from 2007 to 2030

While population growth is a contributing factor to increased electric demand, this demand, in the past, has far outstripped population growth.

Over the long term, however, electricity demand growth has slowed progressively by decade since 1950, from 9 percent per year in the 1950s to less than 2.5 percent per year in the 1990s. From 2000 to 2007, increases in electricity demand averaged 1.1 percent per year.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/electricity.html

Lithuania is over 90%.  The US has almost twice as many nuclear power plants as France.

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:30am
Originally posted by SRC_ROLLTIDE

so in your opinion, just how much cleaner is energy produced by nuclear power vs fossil fuels?  

Nuclear Power Plants release virtually no airborne pollutants during operation.

Roughly half of US electricity comes from coal.
In an average year, a single, typical coal plant generates:
  • 3,700,000 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2), comparable to cutting down 161 million trees.

• 10,000 tons of sulfur dioxide (SO2), which causes acid rain that damages forests, lakes, and buildings, and forms small airborne particles that can penetrate deep into lungs.

• 500 tons of small airborne particles, which can cause chronic bronchitis, aggravated asthma, and premature death, as well as haze obstructing visibility.

• 10,200 tons of nitrogen oxide (NOx), as much as would be emitted by half a million late-model cars. NOx leads to formation of ozone (smog) which inflames the lungs, burning through lung tissue making people more susceptible to respiratory illness.

• 720 tons of carbon monoxide (CO), which causes headaches and place additional stress on people with heart disease.

• 220 tons of hydrocarbons, volatile organic compounds (VOC), which form ozone.

• 170 pounds of mercury, where just 1/70th of a teaspoon deposited on a 25-acre lake can make the fish unsafe to eat.

• 225 pounds of arsenic, which will cause cancer in one out of 100 people who drink water containing 50 parts per billion.

• 114 pounds of lead, 4 pounds of cadmium, other toxic heavy metals, and trace amounts of uranium.
Source - http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c02c.html

Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 6:28pm
^^^^^see people even if global warming wasn't in part due to human activity, the byproducts of cutting down green house gas emissions is still a very GOOD thing
No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 9:25pm

Even if global warming wasn't in part due to human activity...

There is a consensus for anthropogenic (caused or produced by humans) global warming by the following organizations:

- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- National science academies of the G8+5
- InterAcademy Council
- International Council of Academies of Engineering and Technological Sciences
- European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Network of African Science Academies
- National Research Council (US)
- European Science Foundation
- American a**ociation for the Advancement of Science
- Federation of American Scientists
- World Meteorological Organization
- American Meteorological Society
- Royal Meteorological Society (UK)
- Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
- International Union for Quaternary Research
- American Quaternary a**ociation
- Stratigraphy Commission of the Geological Society of London
- International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
- International Union of Geological Sciences
- European Geosciences Union
- Canadian Federation of Earth Sciences
- Geological Society of America
- American Geophysical Union
- American Astronomical Society
- American Institute of Physics
- American Physical Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Microbiology
- Institute of Biology (UK)
- World Federation of Public Health a**ociations
- American College of Preventive Medicine
- American Public Health a**ociation
- American Medical a**ociation
- American Statistical a**ociation
- Engineers Australia (The Institution of Engineers Australia)
- Water Environment Federation
- Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management
- Federal Climate Change Science Program (US)

That is neither political, bad science, or pseudoscience.
 - HanFei
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 12:04pm

There is a consensus for anthropogenic (caused or produced by humans) global warming by the following organizations:

I know but even with all that "evidence" some still try and argue against it as human produced...I was simply trying to show that there are other benefits to reducing emissions other than slowing/stopping global warming i.e. clean air
No pension to retire <_<
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 12:32pm

I know but even with all that "evidence" some still try and argue against it as human produced...I was simply trying to show that there are other benefits to reducing emissions other than slowing/stopping global warming i.e. clean air

Well said, such is the nature of fallibilism and skepticism.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 5:38pm
i don't want to start a flame war but:

most adherents to the notion that Global Warming is real always cite the science and the army of scientists that say it is so.

Science, or at least logic, would lead to those same people being proponents of nuclear energy as a spectacular way of reducing carbon emission.

However, the same people who cry falling sky at global warming are ADAMENTLY opposed to nuclear energy. 

go figure

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 10:48pm
It's all good.  haha.
It is ironic that some subtypes of enviornment oppose such a clean energy.  That said, the former VP of Greenpeace favors the use of nuclear electricity.  If it pa**es his scrutonous eye, we're good.  XD
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 2:14am
Speaking of Greenpeace, I love the way the Chinese gov't deals with them. They shoot at them :)
Anyway Han, I have a real question. How does the layman cut through all the BS in the fish-wrap about countries like Iran enriching uranium for warheads. Is Iran close? WTF is yellow cake, besides yummy?
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 9:57am
Originally posted by COKKENBALLS

Speaking of Greenpeace, I love the way the Chinese gov't deals with them. They shoot at them :)
Anyway Han, I have a real question. How does the layman cut through all the BS in the fish-wrap about countries like Iran enriching uranium for warheads. Is Iran close? WTF is yellow cake, besides yummy?

Sorry for the lengthy response... I broke it down into sections, if you wanted to skip anything.  I can elaborate on anything that is unclear, or you are interested in.

The Short and Dirty of the situation,
News outlets coverage of North Korea is fairly accurate.  However, they sensationalize the f*** out of Iran.  Aside from not announcing a two enrichment faculties, they haven't really violated the NPT.  This mandates such enrichment facilities be announced to the international community ~9 months before operations, which, as the IAEA confirmed, the Iranians weren't doing.  For transparency, we'd like to know when any country starts construction of any nuclear facility.  Yet, these aren't the mandates of the NPT.

Currently, Iran doesn't have nuclear weapons.  Yet, with the same technology they poses to make nuclear power plant fuel, they can make weapons material.  North Korea is miles, or should I say Kilometers, ahead of Iran.  They have Plutonium, created from a small 5MW reactor (5 times as big as my school's reactor), to make ~10 nuclear weapons.  They have detonated one underground, showing they know not only how to get the weapons material, but also can detonate it in the highly difficult window to achieve of less than .00001 seconds.

Some background - feel free to skip.
1) Rocks with Uranium Ore in them are turned into Yellowcake, which is just Uranium Oxide (U3O8, UO2, UO3.)
2) This Uranium "concentrate" has 0.7% of a desirable "isotope" or subtype of Uranium, Uranium-235.
3) The Yellow Cake is turned into a gas, Uranium hexafluoride (UF6).
4) Gas Centrifuges then "enriches the % of the desirable isotope, listed above, to whatever % you want. (~4% for a power plant and >90% for weapons)

To more directly answer your question,
There is a difficult problem that arises when you discuss National Sovereignty and Nuclear Technology; how does the international community ensure nuclear technology is being used for peaceful power purposes and not weapons projects, when each country has it's own law, courts, "secret" programs, etcetera.  Our solutions has been the IAEA, International Atomic Energy a**ociation, and their NPT, Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.  As we can see, the vast majority of nations, including Iran, agree to be inspected and monitored.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/NPT_Participation.svg

From this perspective Iran is a much better country than North Korea, who isn't monitored at all.  As American's we have nothing to immediately fear from either country.  Iranian weapons would go strait to Israel.  North Korea continues to reserve their stockpile like the Emo kid of the world, ready to, if provoked, "turn Seoul into a sea of fire," as said by a North Korean reunification translator in the early 2000s.  Targeting the largest GDP and a country with over 2,000 nuclear warheads is clearly not a high priority of any country.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=highest+gdp

COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 10:13am
Han, you answered my question perfectly. Thank you sir. I am still in awe of your intelligence and maturity. The world needs more young men like you.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 12:21pm
I'm just waiting for N. Korea or Iran to do something so my small field becomes popular again. haha
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 9:54pm
Below is a good TED lecture: How to survive a nuclear attack

http://www.ted.com/talks/irwin_redlener_warns_of_nuclear_terrorism.html
 Post Reply Post Reply