FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Duel Tips from a qM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duel Tips from a qM
    Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 2:40pm
Well after making my other thread: http://www.iamgaming.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2727&title=my-conclusion-long-read

I read some of the posts and decided to help with some tips, concerning duel. Since getting 10-0d really isnt fun. (I know, but hasnt happened to me in months)

1. My most important tip! You need to know who you are playing! If your playing a shock wh0re (rico), sniper wh0re(paw), or flak wh0re ( everyone else, ok not everyone).

If your playing hitscan users, and you know that their hitscan is better than yours DO NOT have little shock rifle battles. Yeah it looks cool but you will end up getting comboed or headshotted.
Im not saying dont use it at all, but if you both have equal health 9 times out of ten they will win.

Now for those flak wh0res, 95% of the time that is the ONLY weapon I mean ONLY weapon they can get kills with. I suggest staying as far away as possible and using hitscan on them. If they start chargin at you use the mini gun or link gun. YOU MUST I MEAN MUST take the flak cannon after you kill them, and pick up the next one that spawns. You do that, and you force them to use the other weapons they have no idea how to use.  However be warned some people that can flak wh0re such as me and pawweezy can use other weapons. So always have a projectile and hitscan weapon on you.

2. What to do after you die or when you just respawn....
First off if you get a sh1tty spawn, you need to get away as fast as possible. For instance at deck, if you spawn at the link gun, after dyin there... I suggest you head to the teleporter instead of the link gun. I've  gotten to many double kills from people spawning there. There are some cases when once you spawn you die and you cant stop that.

However at the beginning of the game, I always suggest you do the following.
Always head to the armor you are closest to, and take weapons on your way there, as long as yor not going out of your way. For instance if you spawn at the mini gun at deck, head straight to the vest, dont go to the sniper than the vest. If you just spawn PLEASE, pick up some vials. That way you survive that rocket or usually the flak ball. (sometimes flak ball kills you when you have 125...)
I hate watching people just spawn and ignore vials. Thats why they die so fast. If you pick it up then they dont get it.

Basically Im trying to tell you to pick up as much armor as you can as fast as you can.

3. Timing....

The shield belt is something you always want to have. However if the other person is about to grab, dont be scared to take a sniper/shock shot on them. Who knows you might knock them off, or get a headshot taking all the armor away.

If you know its about to spawn please head towards it. However if the score is 0-0 that means you both most likely have armor and health. That means you want to take the best postition on the belt. For instance at deck you wanna be above the belt not below it.

When the game just starts and you take the vest, I suggest timing it. If you get the vest immediately it will be back about 30 seconds later. I normally go back to hit, and hammer myself so i can pick it up again. Thats one less piece of armor for the enemy. Also if you know for a fact they took it immediately, head over towards it when its about to spawn. (make sure they arent around)

4. Getting the kill.
You know there is one thing I hate to watch. I hate seeing someone weaken the opponent so much, but then they get away. (i dont mind doing it lol, im a pro at running away) Please, please, please if someone just spawned and you sniped them and you miss the 2nd shot, IMMEDIATELY switch to the stinger primary, or alt link. Yeah it looks cool to get back to back snipes, but you look like an a** when you dont switch weapons and they get away. Forget getting the amazing kills, if they are hurting switch to the mini or link. If you dont have either the enforcer is the best bet.
I've gotten away so many times, because someone thought they were unstoppable with the shock or snipe. Sorry buddy you are not Loque on Godlike. If its close quarters always use the flak as well.

5. I will add more when I can. i hope some of this helps.

JakeT111 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JakeT111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 2:53pm
Nice tips, thanks ;)
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 2:59pm
good sh!t Clap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
Maiden01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maiden01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 3:01pm
be creative :P
willisasmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote willisasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 4:32pm
good **** with these tips i shall kick ur a** lol
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 4:36pm
Nice post... paw told me most of this stuff in game before... I still sucked but then I never really gave duelling a chance. 
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 4:51pm
Should i add some tips of my own as well? :D
name_is_clantag
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 4:59pm
sure remy.
sickboogiemurder View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote sickboogiemurder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by FoeBia

1. My most important tip! You need to know who you are playing! If your playing a shock wh0re (rico), sniper wh0re(paw), or flak wh0re ( everyone else, ok not everyone).

It's hard to tell who you are playing now days, people have so many alternate accounts.
JakeT111 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JakeT111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by sickboogiemurder

It's hard to tell who you are playing now days, people have so many alternate accounts.

Yeah, especially duelers imo. What's the point??/
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by JakeT111

Originally posted by sickboogiemurder

Yeah, especially duelers imo. What's the point??/

A good dueler should always be able to adapt to every situation. Adapting to your opponent's playstyle will most likely lmake you the winner.

for example: a player who likes getting up close and personal with flak or rockets can be countered by keeping them away with +back mode and firing shock. keeping ur opponent at a distance.

a person who likes to setup ambushes and use sound as advantage you should stay away from places that can lead to those situations. use items such as armors or the belt or the health to stray away from waiting too long for that ambush.

name_is_clantag
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 6:31pm
normally when I play someone and I don't know who it is, I'll play cautiously.
After our first encounter I adapt and go from.
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 7:06pm
I wonder how many people will actually read these tips and utilize them?
ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by XKaL1buR

honestly almost no one cause barely anyone duels and mostly everyone is a vehicle player lol
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 10:58pm
Dodging too often does not translate.... well to dodge. It makes you vulnerable and predictable. Mix it up with some bad a** regular strafing! Long strides and small strides like for example.

long/short/short/long/dodge/short/dodge. you get the idea.
name_is_clantag
Mephisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mephisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 11:58pm
or do like me and just stand still
SRC_ROLLTIDE View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 12:02am
i dont know if this is a tip or not but as for me if you are playing someone way better than yourself, i think it is a good idea to set realistic goals for the match i.e. "I am going to kill ______ 3 times this time" or something like that...Start taking small steps and it will help with confidence IMO
No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
AKA: RollTideAlabama, Rage-of-ROLLTIDE, Fear-of-ROLLTIDE
Ewokk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ewokk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 12:29am
Originally posted by SRC_ROLLTIDE

i dont know if this is a tip or not but as for me if you are playing someone way better than yourself, i think it is a good idea to set realistic goals for the match i.e. "I am going to kill ______ 3 times this time" or something like that...Start taking small steps and it will help with confidence IMO

Thats right rolltide! You can't be afraid to lose, I lost countless times to like almost everyone. Baby steps, you get a little better each time.
Dear CTF,

I know I have been spending a lot of time dueling lately, but you will always be my first love.
LeX View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote LeX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 2:40am
fancy footwork is all you need. get to steppin!
Dodgeball...     Come get some.
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 5:37am
Originally posted by ReverendCrow

honestly almost no one cause barely anyone duels and mostly everyone is a vehicle player lol
Kali and Rev you coulda put a "nice post but" in front of your comment and no, what you said is simply not true! Vehicle players DO read this stuff and they try it but few convert to dueling mostly bec its more like a chess match compared to instant action of vehicles. TBH I dont know a true vehicle player as in one that sticks simply to vehicle modes ONLY.
I think most peeps run with vehicles first becauseĀ 
(a) Its novel - different than other games hence appeal
(b) You can kill easier and get points on the board which encourages you to participate
(c) They didnt cover the basics by running through the campaign mode
OK back on topic, like I said in previous posts i'll give it a roll and so i'm reading Remys and this post b4 I dip in the water. For me its not about becoming a dueler. Ive dueled excellent players like Greeny, ThattsMatt and Shewulph and theyve kicked my a** seriously so i know its not for me. But I want to try something different this week and maybe a while longer. Also it makes you a better player all round. I know cos when I was serious about this game b4 league started I used to warm up by playing TDM then went straight into VCTF. It made you sharp especially as I was primarily not in a vehicle, me and Ether404 played on foot or in a viper/manta if we could get one. Also like I said I was playin this game b4 the introduction of vehicles (which veered away from Quake, Doom etc making it different) so it still appeals to me. Back then Duel didnt exist either so like vehicles i'll give this a shot. Sorry forgot to say tnx for the excellent advice mate, hope u do one on movement and dodging cos combined with aiming =success or fail/ survival/death i would think.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
DorienO View Drop Down
Team KoZ
Team KoZ

Post Options Post Options   Quote DorienO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 10:08am
hitscan.....?

i still don't know most of the lingo for this game,
vedakid had to tell me the difference between a pug and a pub, jajajaja. 
Penetrating your defenses. The Penetrator...
Black_star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black_star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 10:52am
Hitscan is a weapon that instantly hits when shot. Sniper, Shock, Minigun, Enforcer, Link secondary are all hitscan.
INCReMENTAL View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:07am
Lol great summary Phant, to bad I know all that tho. As far as flak whore I know I'm safe cause you know I never use it but for some reason I thank I got mixed in the part where I get a sniper shot then don't change my weapons and try to snipe again. Lol, I have a bad habit of that and just get caught up in the moment.

That is a gd tip and I stand by it, sometimes I'm just like *** it, I can get another snipe or shock hit on him. Anyways keep the thread going Phantaci, that helps a lot for those that don't know.
Currently playing MAG nightly with Wopr, we be owning on SVER n the EF CLAN. UT3 got boring, no competition, nothing else to prove, qM got dat **** on lock.
FoXy View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
His Wifeh

Post Options Post Options   Quote FoXy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:07am
Originally posted by DorienO

hitscan.....?

i still don't know most of the lingo for this game,
vedakid had to tell me the difference between a pug and a pub, jajajaja. 

it's ok Dorien XD I had to ask someone too :P
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:25am

im reading them and tryin to get better @ duels!
but just cuzz i read em' dont mean im just gonna beast right away, im still gettin my as.s kicked
alot but in time hopefully i will get better!Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>