Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Duel Guide by RemY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FnA
FnA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duel Guide by RemY
    Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 1:34pm
Duels have always been considered as the ultimate test of one’s skills. No teammates to fall back on, nobody but yourself to blame and nothing but one goal in your mind: to crush and humiliate the opponent! *grins*

Of course, if you want to increase the odds of winning you are going to need some kind of a plan. Each map requires a different approach or tactic, yet there are definitely some general strategy concepts that apply to all maps as well.

In this post I will give a basic introduction and discuss some important strategies for the 1v1 UT3 duel. Let’s start by going over the very basic rules.

The objective of the game

The goal in a duel match is to have more points than the enemy before the time limit is up.

• One kill = 1 point.
  • Crater, blowing yourself up, melting yourself in goo, … = -1 point.

Picking up Health and Armor

Your entire duel strategy should revolve around picking up the Armors and vials before your opponent does. If you have more hit points than the enemy does, you will most likely to survive much longer. Can’t be more logic than that, can it?

There are several health and armor items around the map. By far the most important items are the Shield Belt, 50 chest, 30 Thighs, 20 Helmet, and vials. You should focus on collecting the 50 Chest, 30 Thigh Pads, or Vials before any other items in the beginning of the game.

Item re-spawn timings

Of course, if you are going to be fighting over the Shield Belt and Armors, you should know when they re-spawn.

• Armor: Re-spawns every 29.5 seconds.
  • Shield Belt: Re-spawns every 59.5 seconds. (Basically one minute but it is always better to be there early.)

At first you might find it hard to keep track of even just one item. Yet with time and practice this becomes a natural thing. Estimating the spawn times is often more than enough if you can’t both play and remember times.

Timing the Belt: You pick up the belt around 5:21. All you need to do is just add one second and subtract one minute! So the time of the next belt will be 4:22. UT3 = Educational Game :D

You can get a lot of information by just listening to the enemy sounds. There are many different sounds you should be paying attention to:

• Movement: Dodging, jumping,
  • Item pickups: (Vials, health bubbles, armors, weapons… they all make different sounds)
  • Health status: When the enemy’s health is decreasing you can estimate the health left by listening to the moaning sounds. Use the right weapon to finish the enemy of (Minigun, Link Secondary,…).

These many different sounds give you information about the enemy’s location, where the enemy might be going to and what items he might have. Sounds also allow you to fire prediction shots with the rocket launcher, flak or link gun and kill the enemy before he even sees you.

For a beginner it’s not easy to detect all these sounds. The amount of information input can be quite overwhelming at first. With practice this becomes a lot easier though.

Adapt to the game flow

If an enemy has control over the map and is stacked with 150 health and 180 armor, don’t keep mindlessly rushing the enemy, giving away countless frag points.

When losing it might be a good thing to slow down, stay on the defensive part of the map and collect the weaker armors and health vials.

Keep hiding until you have enough armor. When you think you’re ready try to take back the map control. There are several things you could do:

• Use a hit and run strategy with the Sniper/Shock.
  • Ambush the enemy.

Surprise the enemy!

If you’re losing and you want to try and take over map control, try surprising your opponent with an ambush.

Most of the time the enemy will be very busy running from one item to the other, often following the same route.

Try hiding behind a wall or door with a rocket launcher when you think the enemy might pass this way. Make a prediction shot and follow up with 2 or 3 more well placed rockets.

Positioning yourself to get an edge

Choosing the right route and positioning yourself optimally in the map is probably the most important part of playing a good duel

By choosing your route and position wisely you can gain several tactical advantages:

1. A tactical position could help you control entrances to important areas such as Shield Belt or 50 Chest, or Health Bubbles. (Vice versa, choosing the right path could mean getting cornered by the enemy or gaining access to an important area).
  2. In a combat situation good positioning could mean the difference between life and death.
    • Example #1: Hide behind a wall when your Snipe, rocket launcher or shock is reloading (very effective).
    • Example #2: Battling from on an elevated platform makes killing the enemy a lot easier (the enemy has a harder time hitting you).
  3. Having control over a certain area could give you quick access to many other different areas (for example when you have the control over Thigh Pads area on Deck, you can quickly go to Amp, Shield Belt and Health bubbles, Health Vials and 50 Chest).

Practice!

Last but not least. quoting the both loved and hated legend Fatal1ty: if you want to get better you have to practice, practice and practice!

name_is_clantag
shewulph View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote shewulph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 1:16am
plus one point remdawg LOL
this is my cup of care -> \_/

oh look. it's empty.

PcX_CoRRuPTeD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_CoRRuPTeD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 1:19pm
you forgot one
DONT GLITCH!!!
LOL
-1 pt remy
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:28pm
Another tip: Don't approach dueling as you would approach a DM or TDM. The main focus is on map control and outsmarting a single opponent. Be smart with weapon usage as well. Constantly spamming 1-2 weapons the entire match isn't gonna get you very far. Be smart about knowing which weapons to use a certain distances. Also factor in whether or not your opponent's situated above you or below you.
Q80FACE View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Q80FACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 3:24pm
it makes a big differance if u have a proper headset any advice for an aspiring dueler with out a fancy headset
-Q80FACE-
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 3:39pm
This is what I have:

Plantronics gamecom 777

It's not top of the line but I like it....I like the fact that I can use either the usb connection or regular headphone jacks.  Plus it's not that expensive... I wanna say I picked it up for about 50 bucks open box at bestbuy.

Some reviews said it was uncomfortable but it's the most comfortable headset I've ever had...after 3-4 hours of play not even close to being uncomfortable.

None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 2:54am
Originally posted by WOPR-1

This is what I have:

Plantronics gamecom 777

It's not top of the line but I like it....I like the fact that I can use either the usb connection or regular headphone jacks.  Plus it's not that expensive... I wanna say I picked it up for about 50 bucks open box at bestbuy.

Some reviews said it was uncomfortable but it's the most comfortable headset I've ever had...after 3-4 hours of play not even close to being uncomfortable.

are those headphones? to hear with
or a mic to talk and communicate with?
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 2:52pm
any tips for when you spawn and an opponent thats almost fully stacked on health/armor/shield has the drop on you while you only have 2 possible routes. And he knows it!

This happen to me on sentinel ... ALOT
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:26pm
i can get in detail on how to handle certain situations like that. we can try and setup a chat and i'll be able to answer that. lol rican asked the same question, hopefully he could answer that for u :P
name_is_clantag
ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by RemY

i can get in detail on how to handle certain situations like that. we can try and setup a chat and i'll be able to answer that. lol rican asked the same question, hopefully he could answer that for u :P
i'll be mroe then willing to help in this chat
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 2:38am
hit me up if u have any questions at all. movement, psychological play, weapon usage etc! 
name_is_clantag
NecroBeestiality View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
Mmmmm Beefy

Post Options Post Options   Quote NecroBeestiality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:36pm
duelers make me feel inadequate, frail and useless.
House Music All Night Long

"Insted of peaple coming on this website were peaple are b**ing about peaple behind each uthers backs" - QuickRC
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by FoeBia

This is what I have:

Plantronics gamecom 777

They are both which is another thing I like about them.  I hook them up to both the PS3 and my stereo so I get both in-game sounds and the chat.  To me that's the way to go.
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
NecroBeestiality View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
Mmmmm Beefy

Post Options Post Options   Quote NecroBeestiality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 12:13am

Originally posted by FoeBia

This is what I have:

Plantronics gamecom 777

They are both which is another thing I like about them.  I hook them up to both the PS3 and my stereo so I get both in-game sounds and the chat.  To me that's the way to go.

o.m.g. i am so there. i have wanted in game sounds as well as voice in my ear so bad......
House Music All Night Long

"Insted of peaple coming on this website were peaple are b**ing about peaple behind each uthers backs" - QuickRC
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 12:29am
All you need is headphone jack splitter (radio shack - single female to double male)...you plug the headphone jack from the headphones into the splitter...then one goes into that USB adapter (into the PS3) and the other one goes into your stereo.
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 12:49am
I think that's what I used to do until my headphone's mic broke, so now I just put my Jabra in front of me and set the voices to come out of my headphones instead. Appearantly others can hear me just fine where I put it.
InHuMaNe_KiLLa View Drop Down
Team GOML
Team GOML

Post Options Post Options   Quote InHuMaNe_KiLLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 3:28am
Good tips RemY! I'll try these out later :). Nice headset as well WOPR and if anyone is willing to help me make a CTF Guide (Yes there's actually good advice that could be put into a guide) PM me and I'll make one (I have a few advice) and I'll put your advice and your credit that you helped! Smile
PSN Tags - InHuMaN_KiLLa_v2 (for everything but UT3), InHuMaNe_KiLLa, KiLLa_is_QnL, GOML_-ScRuBz-
XBL - iMPuLs3 zV
wOa site created by me - woagaming.enjin.com
 Post Reply Post Reply