| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Server Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Guide to MidnightGaming servers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guide to MidnightGaming servers
    Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 8:41pm
As some people seemed to have problem setting up their rented server lately I wanted to make a walkthrough like-thingy, as pictures say more than words.
I've also seen a server by swiss quake, which is setup much alike, so it can be of use to people with other companies as well.

topics:
-Getting a server started
-A few more options
-Changing map cycles
-Adding custom maps
-Changing the server's name

Getting a server started

Under the condition you've rented a server at MidnightGaming.net, go to www.admin.midnightgaming.net.

Well I'll assume you know what to do here.

Click Game Servers.
I haven't needed any of the other options yet.

Here you have some more useful functions, though the 'game update' and 'map packs' ones aren't needed.
For now, go to the cmd line changer.

This is where you go when you want to go to setup your server.
I have already made some presets as you can see, and all I have to do to start up a duel to my liking is click 'select' and then reboot the server.
For now though, there should be nothing there, so click new.

Lotsa options here, just select everything until it's to your liking.

In the first box 'server', you only have to pick the map the server starts on, the map cycle is edited elsewhere.
The name you enter should be in the format of 'DM-ShangriLa', 'CTF-Coret', 'vCTF-Kargo' or 'WAR-MarketDistrict'. Meaning that you leave out any spaces in the name, and add a tag for the gamemode in front of the map.

Make sure the login and password are correct, as this is where I went wrong in setting up my own server. It will not show up in the browser if this is wrong.
The login and password are not the ones you used to login to the admin control panel, but you filled them in earlier.
Also tick the 'bShouldAdvertise' option.

When you're all done, click save.

woo! it's saved!
Now, go to the command line changer again.

Choose the preset you want to use by clicking 'select' behind it.
Go back to your server.

Start/Restart your server (stopping it would be quite pointless).
After receiving confirmation, go ingame and check for your server, is it there?

If it doesn't show up you have done something wrong in the cmd line, is the login/password correct? Is bShouldAdvertise on?

A few more options
If you want to get something that isn't listed between the options in the cmd line builder (such as enabling keyboard working or a server description), you can use the '?' field. Several commands can be found in WOPR's guide for normal PC servers near the bottom.
Make sure that after every command you put a question mark.

Currently I use the following:
allowkeyboard=1?ServerDescription=1000001010001000001050000990000970001160
00101000100000032000115000101000114000118000101000114000?

Which enables keyboard and adds the server description 'dedicated server'.
For your own server description you can delete the part after 'allowkeyboard=1' and add in your own description generated here. Afterwards you should make sure there's a question mark at the end of the field.
For your own server description you should enter 'ServerDescription=description?', replacing the 'description' with the description you generate [urlhttp://www.penetrate.nl/UT3ServerDesc.php]here[/url].
Make sure there is a question mark at the end.

For mutators you need to know the name of the mutator to fill into the box, and seperate multiple mutators with a comma.
For my instagib CTF server I use:
UTGame.UTMutator_Instagib,UTGame.UTMutator_NoTranslocator?
'

Changing map cycles
Everyone knows certain maps are overplayed or just not fun.
So why not just remove them from the map-cycle?

We'll start at your server, go to 'Default config files'.

edit the UTGame.ini

Okay, there are many options to fiddle around with here, but if you decide to change something, always remember how it was before.
You don't want your new server just not working.

Search for (press the 'Cntrl' and 'f' buttons on your keyboard at the same time) 'cycle' and hit enter a few times.
At around your 3rd time you'll get to the actual map cycles, it looks as in the picture.
Here you can pick what maps to add or remove.'

Adding custom maps

If you are like me overhyped on custom content, and tired of having to play them with at about 150 ping (dis)advantage you'll surely want your server to support some maps.

Though it's not needed to install this program, it makes the uploading a lot less painfull. Therefore I recommend following this guide: http://midnightgaming.net/ftpfaq.shtml to installing and configuring filezilla.

After connecting to your site using the guide, open the map 'CookedPC'.

I'll just randomly assume here you didn't install the dutch version, so rightclick, select 'create map' and name it 'CustomMaps'.
Then open it.

Now in order to install a map, you need the PC version from the same map, and upload those files.
Scroll to wherever you have downloaded and unpacked the map(s), right click on the files and choose the aptly named option 'upload'.
Normally I think you only need to upload the .ini .ut3 and .upk files, but I won't hurt to upload any other included files as well.

Afterwards, don't forget to update the map cycle in the UTGame.ini!
I believe it's impossible to let the server start on a custom map or have a custom map on top of the cycle.

Unfortunately not all maps work, and there's is a rather low chance of succes.
Check WOPR's custom map list or my server's thread for some maps' compatibility.

I believe it is possible to have some custom mutators work as well in a similar way, by making a 'script' folder in the 'CookedPC' folder, and pasting the .u file there.
The .ini file then goes into the 'Config' folder.
I don't know a lot about mutators though, and didn't even get GOW_Spectator working.

Changing the server's name
I'll add this tomorrow.. after WOPR explains me how to do it :P
But it's most certainly possible, and if you can't seem to get the server running, try another login.

Likely several links are now broken due to the moving of forums, but I'll fix them after sleeping as well.

Hopefully this guide will be of help to someone, as I've just spent quite a bit more time on it than I was planning to, lol.
Good luck fragging.
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:53am
Mate, this seems a whole lot simpler than  Art of War (the web host  I am currently with). I can't start/stop server from web admin I have to log a ticket and they start/stop  for me. Also the commandline changer  is just a text box but from  your example  you can change variable values etc.
Tnx for this Drokun u really are tOp man. I have joined midnightgaming but not bought a server but they give you a 4 day cooling off period so I can try it for myself now.
SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 12:46pm
I'll be so glad to see you get one soon.  This does look a little simple. (It might take some getting used to when I do get one.. (whenever that happens), but still..)  Oh, and I'm pretty sure that these guys will be able to move the server to a new mode faster than two-three days or have (or add asap) Titan maps.. lol.. Tongue
Two_Fase View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Two_Fase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 1:11pm
this guide has helped me out alot. thank you
Anything that bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die is the only thing you should fear
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 3:25pm
I've heard from sickboogiemurder that clanwarz servers are easier, but I like it like this, I think you can do more stuff thanks to some of the options (mainly the '?' option)

Is your server running yet Two_Fase?
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 3:33pm
Thanks for doing this Drokun, good job.  I'll make it a sticky.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by WOPR-1

Thanks for doing this Drokun, good job.  I'll make it a sticky.

Good idea WOPR. Happy to announce that I am now a midnightgaming customer which means our clan will have a functional base and the community will have access to another private server. Ewokk should benefit also (let me know mate cos i dont like being lied to, esp by companies) so a good night's work. Ive cancelled AoW (see Heavenlys server thread or some details) but the contract will run till 21st May-i'll post for help with commands cos its more or less manual and i would rather ask the experts than lose any more time messin with it. thx.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 2:58pm
meaningless convo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 2:58pm
meaningless convo
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Harmerty

Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

Mate, this seems a whole lot simpler than  Art of War (the web host  I am currently with). I can't start/stop server from web admin I have to log a ticket and they start/stop  for me. Also the commandline changer  is just a text box but from  your example  you can change variable values etc.Tnx for this Drokun u really are tOp man. I have joined midnightgaming but not bought a server but they give you a 4 day cooling off period so I can try it for myself now.<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->
ugh, leave art of cockmunching!! seriously, if a site isn't ready like midnight is, then say bye to them!!

yea bt Harmety ur right, a guy phoned me frm AoW in USA yesterday. He spent 40 mins tryin to get bots up so that u go 5x5 and password it to lock server. He failed on both counts bt lil ole me frm UK did both and changed mode and difficulty level on midnightgaming server with a few minor hiccups. Beware game server hosts that s*ck eh. Now onto importing maps.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 8:34am
Post removed by original poster.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 10:29am
Trinity, was that a Midnightgaming server we had our match on yesterday?
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 10:39am

yea bt Harmety ur right, a guy phoned me frm AoW in USA yesterday. He spent 40 mins tryin to get bots up so that u go 5x5 and password it to lock server. He failed on both counts bt lil ole me frm UK did both and changed mode and difficulty level on midnightgaming server with a few minor hiccups. Beware game server hosts that s*ck eh. Now onto importing maps.

Really? all you have to do is insert the proper commands in the cmd lines :S
SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by ICN_BAIN

From my personal experiences with the server, I think it was a Midnightgaming server.  Sure, it had a few time out and lag issues, but if it was the AoW server, it would of taken forever to switch from mode to mode.  Trust me, I've talked with Trinity about this subject several times.  Seriously, the guy couldn't even set up the bots on a 5 on 5 server and password lock it.. (like he said in his post here) yet Trinity (with a few hiccups) was doing it in under a half hour, at most.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 2:13pm
Once everything set up, swapping modes takes like a minute
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 4:21pm

yep afraid so. Bain urs is too isn't it? same issues? From my reboot it took forever to appear in the mode menu ie minutes not 30-60 seconds. ill ask em why and report the lag issue maybe they'll reroute bt ill downgrade fm12 to 10 slots cos im wasting money.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Drokun

Once everything set up, swapping modes takes like a minute

Agreed u just tick the boxes, preview, save, select and launch bt AoW only has a command box and save and start buttons no new or tick boxes. J meant i managed to work out how to do what AoW failed to do in 20 mins or so. Thanks to your guide and the preview code facility on midnightgaming i set up the modes and tested them by pasting the code into AoW server and fired it up without much trouble. AoW Tech said that server software was buggy haha. Noticed that theyre not advertising UT3 servers anymore. Your guide is very handy for n00b server peeps like me.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 9:51am

Ours appears in the mode menu within about 60 seconds. We had that same lag as you at 12 players so I set it to 10 players. I didn't experience any lag but Danjel said it lagged for him when all 10 slots were filled. That's when it happens, when the number of players allowed is maxed out. We had some lag last night on 4 v 4 VCTF when all eight slots were filled. I was in the iAMgaming server last night (8 v 8 WF) and it lagged worse than in our match. Aquaknot says that MG has got too many games running on one server and he knows what he's talking about. We need to make sure they fix this or cancel our leases and go to Clanwarz. Sickboogiemurder has a server from both companies and prefers Clanwarz.

TheProdigy View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 10:09am
MG is not impressing me at all, i mean come on 4v4 and its glitchin/laggin like a beotchh.. lame.. i can host better then that!
Damn, "Hes a Beast!" No..
Hes a Real Life "Prodigy"
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by ICN_TheProdigy

MG is not impressing me at all, i mean come on 4v4 and its glitchin/laggin like a beotchh.. lame.. i can host better then that!
Same here. i was expecting a service much smoother than the one we're currently getting. Considering i paid for 12 slots and it cant run well on 10 makes me question their service. I created 2 tickets yesterday about their service but i haven't been in to check their replies. My ping was really high and I was lagging badly in market district but it was unplayable in Necropolis. We all lagged then it settled down to a playable level then wham! no game. I wasnt able to boot the server up again after the Necro restart. It never appeared!
I think we all have to make them aware that we expect a better level of service of PS3 gamers. UT3 is very demanding but ive played 8x8 on the epic servers with no lag at all and im UK so it aint too much to ask for/expect if you pay is it?
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:21pm
Yeah and Sickboogie told me you don't use a ticket system at Clanwarz. You send in your problem and get someone online helping you in real time ASAP.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:32pm

Yeah and Sickboogie told me you don't use a ticket system at Clanwarz. You send in your problem and get someone online helping you in real time ASAP.
Well that  sounds good, i'll give it a go if things dont improve.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by ICN_TheProdigy

Same here. i was expecting a service much smoother than the one we're currently getting. Considering i paid for 12 slots and it cant run well on 10 makes me question their service. I created 2 tickets yesterday about their service but i haven't been in to check their replies. My ping was really high and I was lagging badly in market district but it was unplayable in Necropolis. We all lagged then it settled down to a playable level then wham! no game. I wasnt able to boot the server up again after the Necro restart. It never appeared!
I think we all have to make them aware that we expect a better level of service of PS3 gamers. UT3 is very demanding but ive played 8x8 on the epic servers with no lag at all and im UK so it aint too much to ask for/expect if you pay is it?

Try reinstalling the server.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 9:37am
I need to change the name of my server. I was told by MG that I need to create a new Gamespy login. I went to Gamespy and registered as a new user and created a new "unique nickname", then changed the command line(s) to that name but the new server name did not show up in the UT3 browser.
Any ideas where I went wrong?
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 10:25am
Originally posted by BAIN

I need to change the name of my server. I was told by MG that I need to create a new Gamespy login. I went to Gamespy and registered as a new user and created a new "unique nickname", then changed the command line(s) to that name but the new server name did not show up in the UT3 browser.
Any ideas where I went wrong?

It's not GameSpy the website. Just ask MG to do it for you. They are stuck in the PC UT3 world. Just send them a touble ticket and ask them to change the name you want it to and give them the password you want. They will handle it in an hour or so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>